Saturday, 9 May 2015

Splendid Sandakphu

Sometimes Journeys are more memorable than the destination and this was one such drive for me. Right after booking my tickets, I had very less time in my hand for planning my North East trip. I asked people on forums what all I must add in my itinerary. When I asked about Sandakphu, people said Sandakphu is a gorgeous 6-7 days trek and is a must do (which indeed it is) but plan a separate trip. When I heard the word gorgeous, it clicked me. When it comes to travel, I am very greedy person. I crave to see anything and everything as soon as possible. So I just kept on exploring options over internet and then something caught my eyes.
Sandakphu-Phalut Route
I read about Manebhanjyang Vintage Land rover Association of Singalila National Park (in Darjeeling), having the UK’s biggest collection of classic 4x4 Land Rovers, with the vintage Land rovers being driven on Manebhanjyang to Sandakphu route. There it was, Sandakphu ticked in this trip itself. (Eyes sparkling)
Vintage Landrover
To embrace this new experience, I traveled from Darjeeling to Manebhanjyang on an early morning, booked a Land rover and jumped in the old iron for an exciting 31km rash drive in Singalila National Park. The coolest thing about Manebhanjyang Land rovers is that they are kept original. They don’t have any valid papers. These fossil machines are blast to drive on those bumpy graveled roads. 
Graveled Roads
No power windows, no power brakes, no air conditioning. In short, no modern amenities we are used to in our modern vehicles now. Old Land rovers are meant to be truly driven. They are not fast, they are not super comfortable but they certainly are damn cool. These are lovely decades old machines that will last for many generations to come.
Landscapes in Singalila
Singalila was a Sikkim Forest. In 1882 British Government brought these forests on lease from the Sikkimese Raja. And later on after Independence, this forest became the part of Darjeeling District (West Bengal). In 1992, Wildlife Forest Department declared it as the National Park and named it as “Singalila National Park”. For trekking in Singalila National Park, It is a must for trekkers to be accompanied by registered guides of Wildlife Department. This national park is very close to India-Nepal border.  While on this route, the roads take you across the border multiple times where in military is deputed at every check-post to ensure safety of tourists and the peace at borders.
Military Check-post
This national park is home of some rarest exotic animal life. Many of them are high altitude animals (mostly found in Himalayas) and are endangered ones such as Red Panda (one of favorites). The chance of sighting one is quite rare as there are very few of them. I was not lucky enough to see even one of them. The park houses rich flora and fauna. During the drive, rhododendron was at full bloom and mountains were studded with red flower buckets.
Blooming Rhododendrons
Besides all, Sandakphu-Phalut route offers breathtaking panoramic view of the gigantic Eastern Himalayas from Nepal to Sikkim, Arunachal Pradesh, up-till Bhutan, especially the Everest and Kanchenjunga. Sandakphu (11,909 ft) and Phalut (11,811 ft) are the two highest peaks of Singalila range. 
View of Himalayas from Sandakphu
The four famous mountains which are above 8000 mts. beside (K-2) are viewed from Sandakphu Phalut area. Sunrise and Sunset of Sandakphu are world famous. Mt. Kanchenjunga appears to be standing tall face to face as you move towards Sandakphu. The landscapes of this region after Sandakphu vary completely with one km. The aura changes from muddy mountains to snow clad forest. It is such a treat being up there amid the mountains. The people, culture, their way of living, economic condition and their mountain life, make this route extraordinary.
Somewhere on Sandakphu-Phalut Route
Seasons to Travel:
There are two great seasons to visit the park.
Spring (i.e. from March until May) when the flowers like rhododendrons and orchids bloom in full, and then again after the monsoon is over (i.e. between October and early December) when the snow peaks show in their dazzling beauty in a clear blue sky.


Things to carry:
·         The entire stretch is notorious for unpredictable rains so do carry rain jackets.
·         There is no electricity in the guest house at night. So carrying a torch is a must.

Note: 
  • The park usually remains closed during the monsoon (between Mid-June to Mid-September). 
  • The entire trail is bumpy and graveled. Plan to leave as early as possible from Manebhanjyang (no later than 1 PM).
  • There is limited number of guest houses at Sandakphu. Prefer to book room in advance during peak season. 
  • Shared taxis are available for Manebhanjyang from Darjeeling bus stand.
  • Land Rover can accommodate 8 people. You can go to the stand and share with other travelers.
Have you been to Sandakphu? 

If yes, then share your experience.


5 comments:

  1. Wonderful. I hopr I get to visit this place sometime. Thanks Richa for this one another blog from your pen :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shivanshu :)
      And yes it is a must go if u r in that area

      Delete
    2. Thanks Shivanshu :)
      And yes it is a must go if u r in that area

      Delete
  2. Fantastic! Added this in my bucket list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adi... The entire experience is so awesome that you would want to go there again like I am already craving to go again ;)

      Delete